If you are interested in our Portland Limestone pet memorial marker or pet memorial plaque it’s important to understand how best to care for this beautiful British limestone.
Displaying the pet memorial indoors
If you choose to display your pet memorial indoors then you will not have to worry about the stone being exposed to outdoor elements. The memorial will not require any maintenance, but it is important to avoid the following:
- Avoid contact with metals or treated wood as staining may leach into the stone
- Avoid direct contact with household chemicals and cleaning products
- Avoid contact with salts that may cause delamination
Displaying the pet memorial outdoors
It’s perfectly fine to display your Portland Limestone pet memorial outside.
It’s important to understand that Portland Limestone is a soft stone so it will naturally weather when left in outdoor conditions.
Regular maintenance and cleaning is not a necessity when it comes to the durability of the material, any cleaning is purely done for aesthetic preferences.
As Portland is porous it will naturally weather over the years and you may notice algae growth when displayed in the garden – some people absolutely love this as the memorial blends with the natural surroundings.
Avoid using salts, pesticides or other garden treatments with chemicals close to the memorial – if possible, remove the memorial prior to gardening and then replace after use.
Laying a pet memorial flat in the garden
If you have a pet memorial plaque and this is laid flat on grass or in a flower bed, you may find that more regular maintenance is required for the lettering. This is because when a memorial is resting at an angle or upright (like the memorial markers) rain will naturally wash away dirt which may collect in the letters.
When laid flat, the rain will gather in the letters and dirt can sit in the engraving – over time this may affect any infill on the lettering. With regular maintenance you can keep the letters clean, and this is not a problem.
How to clean your Portland Limestone pet memorial
Naturally, if you choose to place your marker or plaque in a flower bed or under a tree then you must consider that the plaque may become dirty.
If you wish to clean your Portland Limestone plaque, ensure you follow these 5 easy steps:
1. Splash some clean water over the memorial.
2. Using a clean (preferably new), soft, lint free cloth and warm water, gently wipe away any dirt or patches of dirt. It is important to not use a dirty or old cloth as this may scratch the memorial slate.
3. For algae growth or tough stains, you may use a very weak bleach solution but only apply to the areas affected and avoid the lettering.
4. Splash some clean water over the memorial once again ensuring all suds are washed from the memorial and especially out from the engraved lettering.
5. Dry the memorial with a hairdryer to ensure surface moisture does not soak deep into the stone.
That’s it… Your Portland Limestone memorial will be able to stand the test of time and be proudly displayed outdoors or indoors so that you can remember your dearly loved pet for many years to come.